Julian Treasure: The 4 ways sound affects us

From TED.com: "Playing sound effects both pleasant and awful, Julian Treasure shows how sound affects us in four significant ways."
One of the points the presenter makes is that an open office layout dramatically decreases productivity:

66%

What to do? As much as I love music, I personally find listening to songs with lyrics too distracting when I'm doing work that requires a lot of focused attention. Movie soundtracks and classical music can help, but even these can be distracting.

Sometimes a better solution is ambient sound software. These can be wonderful tools for taking back your concentration in a noisy environment. Here's a link to an app I use on my iPhone:
I'm partial to a light thunderstorm, but the ocean is nice too. What do you listen to when you're working hard and need to concentrate?

Shared via AddThis
 
Bloggers Team