The iPad, and Sketching User Experiences

There's been a lot of discussion about the iPad among the design team at Clearspring – who will get one, the features we like, how we can trick the powers that be to get one for us (kidding, Hooman!) My partner in crime Jeff Wong wrote a blog post about his reactions to the iPad, and I'll probably write something more later, however I came across a link this morning that I thought I'd mention.

As an interface designer, one of the applications that immediately came to mind was collaborative sketching and wireframing, which would suggest something like a stylus. Steve Jobs mentioned this in his speech ("oh hell no", or somesuch) but most folks figured a third party would come up with one anyway. Yesterday, PC Magazine posted an article about Pogo releasing a stylus, with speculation that another would be quickly forthcoming specifically for the ipad.


So we shall see; there's the obvious issue of how easy it is to lose a stylus, although if I can keep track of my pen and my socks, I suspect the problem is surmountable.  I'd probably just clip it to Apple's nifty multipurpose iPad Case (scroll down that page, it's towards the bottom.)

[Ed. As an aside, check out the little thumbnails of this jacket-case: Apple hasn't said much about this accessory, but note how this case doubles as a viewing stand, and typing stand, addressing one of the usability issues brought up about how it would be hard to type on the iPad when the back is beveled and it is sitting on a hard flat surface. Another point for Apple: solving problems with elegant simplicity. I just hope it can stand up to everyday use... better buy two.]

So, would you use a stylus? Will you buy one of these? Wait for second generation? What feature or accessory is on your wishlist?
 
Bloggers Team